Sunday, June 7, 2009

Heights, oh How I Hate Thee!

Ok, this isn't really high. It doesn't look high at all as a matter of fact. So why were my legs quivering and why was I scared to death to get back on the ladder to get down? My fear of heights is irrational, but real.

I remember as a kid going with my family to Rockwood Reservation in St Louis. They had a rickety old fire tower there. My brothers made me climb it and I was scared to death. Was this because of my fear of heights, or the cause of it?

I rode a gondola to the top of the Zugspitze in Germany. Hovering so high above the earth didn't bother me at all, but I was in an enclosed capsule.

A number of years ago, we were at Taum Sauk Mountain, which at a whopping 1,772 feet is the highest point in Missouri. There was a very nice fire tower there. It looked very stable and secure, so I was determined to overcome my fear of fire towers. I boldly set out to climb the tower. By the second turn, my legs were shaking and I could no longer walk. I had to turn around and go back down.

I would love to get over this fear, but it looks like I'll just have to continue to live with it. It's frustrating that I can't go on the roof of my house to make minor repairs, but such is life.

I need to make two more trips to the top of the trailer. One to spray sealant all over the roof, and the other to caulk all the seams. Anyone wanna stop by to help? I'll buy the beer! In fact, I'll run to the store to get the beer while you're up there on that roof!

3 comments:

  1. I would much rather go on top of the roof than get in an elevator with a bunch of people or crawl through a hole in the earth to reach a cavern. I'll take the heights, you take the enclosed spaces!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like heights either - so, I'll pass on the beer offer ;-)

    ReplyDelete