Monday, January 19, 2009

Almost 2 Weeks Later

It’s been almost 2 weeks since my heart attack. Physically, the recovery process has been a breeze. There has been absolutely no pain and I’ve felt great. Emotionally, it’s another story.

I am really struggling with changing from a protein diet to a low fat diet. I am always hungry and my life seems to be centered around looking for something to eat. In addition, my weight is creeping up. I cannot understand how the increased carbs and sugars can be good for me. Sure, it might help one condition, but what is it doing to me in other ways? Is it really normal to be hungry all the time and gain weight? I certainly understand the need to reduce fats and sodium in my diet, but I’m not sure going to the other extreme is really a good thing. My daughter bought me a cookbook with some great heart healthy recipes and I look forward to trying some of them.

The other thing that is difficult to deal with is the way people react around me. I feel like when someone sees me coming, that they feel they need to start hiding things, just like they do when children visit. We have an almost weekly visit by friends to play pool. With very few exceptions, we made popcorn. Last friday our friends refused to let Norine make popcorn. I know it was because they really care about me and I appreciate the concern, but it’s little things like this that make me feel like less of a person. Not only that, all the microwave popcorn was removed from the house. Can I not be trusted?

I feel like everyone is watching every little thing I do and worry about what the fragile little creature is doing to himself. The best thing people can do for me is to act normal when I’m around. I know what I need to do to stay healthy and I will continue to make adjustments as they become necessary. Please let me enjoy my life. Treat me the same way you did before I had the heart attack. If I reach for a handful of popcorn with butter, don’t have a stroke. Just know that I know my limits and will not overdo it like I used to.

I really do appreciate everyone’s concerns and know they do it out of love. I’m not writing this to be critical of anyone, just to let people know what I am going through.

Ok, enough of that. Tomorrow I go for my first cardiac rehab session. Hopefully that will give me the green light to increase my activities.

Thank you everyone for all the love and concern you’ve shown me. You have no idea how much it mean

No comments:

Post a Comment