Friday, September 18, 2009

Can I Use My Nuvi on My Spaceship?

Our usually reliable Nuvi stopped working on our Arkansas trip. Before we even left Kansas City, it was trying to drive us around in some ridiculous circles. We knew how to get out of town so we ignored it's constant "recalculating". In Arkansas, it went totally bonkers. It started looping with "Drive the highlighted route...recalculating" and it didn't have a clue where it was. Fortunately, our resort was the only one in the area so we were able to find it.

We had to navigate the rest of our trip with a map. How archaic is that? We did manage to find our way around, but we really missed the GPS. We tried the GPS on our phone but it just wasn't the same. It's been years since we've used a map. We've relied on the Nuvi for all of our trips. It's taken us faithfully to Texas, New Mexico, and Colorado by car and many other places in rental cars.

Today I got on the Garmin site to research a replacement. I found a neat tool on the site where you choose the options you want and it tells you which models have them all. So, I asked Norine what was important to her in a Nuvi. Her answer: "Comfortable seats". Uh...OK...how do I respond to that?

Norine tends to hear some things slightly different than the way they were spoken. As a result, a very humorous, and sometimes embarrassing, answer flows out of her mouth. I know she didn't hear "Nuvi" when I asked that question, but I don't know what she did hear, and I'm afraid to ask.

One morning after a very late night, we went to the restaurant in the hotel where we were staying. We were still a little sleepy and needed some coffee. A very nice elderly hispanic lady led us to our table. She handed us our menus and in her tiny voice, asked "Have you seen our specials?". Norine's eyes got wide and she looked at the woman and said "You have a spaceship?". I suppose "specials" could sound like "spaceship" but I don't think the lady quite caught the connection. She slowly backed away and we never saw her again.

I'll be nice and end this here and not talk about strange vehicles and non-pregnant waitress. I think you get the point. There is never a dull moment when you travel with Norine!

2 comments:

  1. You have to admit that traveling with me is interesting and you get such great stories from my mistakes! At least I make you laugh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to send Norine and I on a trip together and video tape it!!! We could probably publish it and make alot of money!!!

    ReplyDelete