Saturday, September 26, 2009

Viral Email

Everyone seems to hate all the email messages they get that say things like "Forward this to 10 people and something will pop up on your screen" or "Forward this to all your friends or something bad will happen to you". It's kind of like daylight savings time. Everyone hates it, but it is still around. Now we're being bombarded with viral political email. People continue to forward these emails without checking the facts. Some of them are so preposterous that I don't understand how anyone can think they're true. Almost all of them are either totally false or contain misleading information. This isn't limited to email. It's all over Facebook, and I'm sure all other social networking sites.

When I get these, I always check the facts and sometimes respond to the sender. Unfortunately, this is ineffective because the emails continue. Some of the people are good friends so I don't want to alienate them, but I wish they would get the hint and stop sending the trash.

I don't care what your political views are and I don't publicly flaunt mine. I just do not understand why so many people are so quick to believe outlandish stories without taking a few seconds to find out if they're really true. All they do is stir up hate, and there is way too much of that going around.

Ok, I'm done venting. I'm off to delete some email.

1 comment:

  1. I agree totally! And I also dislike the religious emails that say you have to send to so many people or something will happen or you will get a special blessing. If a person truly has faith, how can they believe some of the photos, or that God won't bless you if you break the chain, or you will have bad luck if you break the chain. I don't understand this.

    ReplyDelete