Saturday, August 8, 2009

Home Ownership

As everyone knows, home ownership has it's advantages and disadvantages. The biggest disadvantage for me has always been yard work. I am not the type of person who likes to toil in his yard all summer long. That makes it sound like I'd be a perfect candidate for a condo or townhouse, right? Wrong. I love our house. I love that it's a ranch and has a large basement. I love the nice quiet partially wooded area where it's located. I like that I can watch a movie with surround sound turned up loud and not worry about disturbing people around me. But I don't like being a slave to my yard! (did I already mention that?).

I also do not like the unexpected 'problems' that come with a house. This week has really brought that home. Our air conditioner went out on the hottest day of the year, our ice maker stopped making ice, and our small freezer stopped freezing. It was almost enough to make me consider the townhouse life again.

I don't like that it's difficult to take off on the spur of the moment, even though we're retired, because we may need to take care of the lawn first. I don't like that we need to make arrangements for our lawn if we're going away for an extended period of time. Thankfully my son-in-law has been great about volunteering to help out. I don't want to take advantage of that situation though.

Today I had some things I wanted to do. Before I got started, I took something out to the mailbox. I saw the lawn was in desperate need of cutting. So off we went to cut and trim the yard in 90 degree heat. Now I'm tired and sweaty and no longer want to do the things I have planned. I thought again about how nice a townhouse would be where someone else took care of the yard.

Then I saw Ruben. Ruben is a former neighbor whom we have seen around our neighborhood cutting grass. It made me think that the biggest advantage I saw with a townhouse was that the exterior maintenance was included. Of course that always comes with a monthly cost. Why can't I do that in a house? Why can't I set a side a monthly maintenance fee and use it for yard work and the few unexpected things that arise during the year?

Guess what? I can! We now have an agreement with Ruben to take care of our lawn. It doesn't matter if we are home or away on a three week trip. We know we won't have to worry about our lawn. Now when there is something I want to do during the day or take off on a spur of the moment trip, I can do it.

Having said all that, I don't hate ALL yard work. Especially in the spring and fall, I enjoy getting out and doing some work on the yard, such as planting and mulching. What I hate is being forced to do something when I don't want to, or when it's too hot. That's what Ruben will handle for me. Now I can go out in the cool of the morning or evening and play in the landscaping, when I'm in the mood. Sounds like the best of both worlds. I hope it is!


2 comments:

  1. I hope this works for both of us. While I don't mind mowing the grass, it does bother me when we are away for several weeks. That said, I would much rather work on editing photos and ordering prints...or better yet, print my own then mat and frame the print. I remember when we took the matting class and it was so much fun. We actually framed some photos and hung them in our home. We have a huge basement that is underutilized (maybe because we don't have an elevator?? :), just kidding), and we should take advantage of what we have and do some of the things that we find so enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, you almost made me want to keep our townhouse!!!! Hate having neighbors on both sides!!!

    ReplyDelete