Sunday, August 9, 2009

The Tale of the Shrinking Suit

Today we're going through our closets and getting rid of a lot of clothes that we don't wear. I have a number of suits that I haven't worn in many, many years. At this point in time, I know I will never wear them again. I might need one suit for special occasions, but that is probably one too many.

The suits were still in great condition so I figured I better try them on before I give them away. Ok, how do suits shrink so much when sitting on a hanger? I know these suits fit perfectly. I used to wear them all the time. The first jacket I tried on was feeling a little snug even before I got my arms all the way in. Hmmm, a little tight in the shoulders too. I really realized how much it had shrunk when I tried to button it. The button and the button hole did not come within 12 inches of each other! Then I tried on the pants. No further comments...

If anyone has any ideas how a suit can shrink so drastically while hanging in a closet, please let me know! It's driving me crazy!

4 comments:

  1. I think the button and buttonhole were more like 6 inches apart, but I could be wrong due to my failing eyesight. I wonder if it could be caused by all the new cake recipes you have been trying out? :) Now, I'm not saying you have a buddha belly, buuuuttt, well, we'll let that one slide before you start referring to my buddha body parts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm having the same trouble with my clothes. My theory: clothes shrink because the closet is not 'cooled' as well as the rest of the house (like over drying a sweater ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. David, I like Kevin's theory. Mine used to do the same thing. You need to buy new clothes. They don't shrink as fast...maybe something in the new material slows down the shrinkage?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mine seem to be doing that too!!!! My elastic/tie waist scrubs that I wear all week are fine, but the clothes with buttons and zippers seem to shrink more and more each week!!! I agree with Kevin.....gotta be the cooling system!!!

    ReplyDelete